10 Facts About Insects
10 Facts About Insects
There are many facts about everything around the world even if it is a small insect or a large elephant. We bring you some of the best facts about insects that you may not have heard before. You must know these facts so you could have a better understanding of such a small creature such as an insect could even have several different facts that one doesn’t know. In this article, we are going to tell you about the top 10 interesting facts about insects.
So here we go.
10. Most animals on Earth are insects.
As we all know that there are millions of different animals who are living on our planet earth, which makes a vast majority if consider the figures. But among these animals, there are about six to ten million species of insects. Which makes 80 percent of all animals?
9. As we all familiar that insects are among the oldest species on the planet. They have been on Earth for a very long time. If we go through the research so we got to know some facts from Fossils which shows that insects were here 350 million years ago, which is a long-ago time period for us to consider this fact that they are among the oldest species here.
8. If we consider their body parts, so in general, Insects have 3 body parts mainly, that is the thorax, abdomen, and head along with 2 antennae and 6 jointed legs. Thorax is the middle section of its body helps in holding head, legs, wings, and abdomen and makes it firm. Normally, there is a broader junction between the thorax and the abdomen. Head is the hard and compact structure having six segments combined to make up ahead capsules.
7. Most adult insects have wings but when we are considering flies so they have only two wings. All other insects are with four wings. All wings and legs are attached to the thorax body part. And if we are considering thorax so there are three sections that are prothorax, mesothorax, and met thorax. Anterior wings are joined with mesothorax while posterior wings are attached to the met thorax
6. It is an unbelievable fact, but it’s true that some insects are able to walk on the surface of the water. They are called water striders. They are small in size, having adapted their life on the surface of the water.
5. Bees, termites, and ants live in well-organized social colonies. Bees and ants are included in Order Hymenoptera, but if we consider termites so they are in the Order Isoptera. Ants and termites are eusocial, but many species of bees enjoy solitary lives. Silkworms are considered as a primary producer of silk.
4. The life cycle of a mosquito features four stages, egg, larva, pupa, and adult. It may live its life and may undergo with reproduction process inside or oven outside. The whole process takes 8 to 10 days, may lay about a hundred eggs in one go. Eggs are very hard. Larva feed upon microbes present in water. When it molts thrice, it became a pupa. When it became an adult, males fed on the nectar of flowers while females depend on sucking bloodstream of humans and animals to lay eggs.
3. This is an interesting fact that No Bees are found in Antarctica. This is obviously due to the extreme coldest temperature up to -76oF. So, as there are so many living beings, which cannot survive their so likewise bees as well. But there are some parasites (insects) which are still surviving, on the fur of birds and sea creatures, in this extreme cold condition.
2. Ants leave trails and communicate with each other using pheromones. They produce pheromones, the scent chemicals for communication, and for making trails. The smell of these trails can be followed to and fro considering their nest.
1. All insects are covered by an exoskeleton, also termed as “shell”, which is a skeleton, covering the outside of their bodies like armor. This armor is called molting. It supports and protects in such a way that it can resist in severe condition and prevent the arthropods from dying out. It is linked with the insect’s muscles so that it collects the information about the environment and surroundings.
These facts make an insect different from other creatures in the world. There were many facts you may not have heard before. Make sure to watch the complete video on 10 facts about Insects, like and comment to tell us if you know any fact that is different from these.